Customer Case Driverless truck supplies robots and machines with materials with perfect timing
Axelent Engineering, in collaboration with KUKA, offers a KMP 1500 (KUKA Mobile Platform), a driverless transport vehicle that moves autonomously and flexibly with a free movement pattern. In combination with the latest KUKA Sunrise control, it provides a modular, versatile, and above all mobile manufacturing concept for the industry of the future. The driverless truck supplies robots and machines with material with perfect timing and transports products independently through all stages of the process.
How does a KMP work?
The KMP (KUKA Mobile Platform) is controlled by a specialized navigation server. With the help of the KMP, the area is scanned and a navigation map is created. This means that it can move completely freely without conventional control or navigation elements, which means that loops in the floor or access points in the area are not needed.
Self-driving truck KUKA KMP 1500
KUKA KMP 1500 is our response to the manufacturing industry’s increasing demands for shorter response times and greater flexibility in the manufacturing concept. Predefined paths and rigid processes will be a thing of the past in future factories. Therefore, KUKA is developing intelligent, autonomous vehicles that supply robots and machines with materials with perfect timing. KMP 1500 provides previously unthinkable flexibility in production.
Benefits What are the benefits with implementing a KMP?
Simulation software for offline programming (KUKA.Sim, KUKA Sunrise) which enables the functionality to be ensured already at the development stage.
Thanks to the "KUKA omniMove" drive system, the KMP 1500 can move in all directions from a stationary position. This means that it is perfectly suited for navigation in confined spaces.
Accuracy of positioning
It ha a positioning accuracy of +/- 5 mm
Payload and lifting capacity
It has a payload and lifting capacity of 1500 kg
Standardized platform "Fleet Manager" for integration of multiple KMPs in the same system.
Complies with relevant safety directives
Complies with relevant safety directives, allowing it to safely navigate and interact with both humans and automation equipment.
Flexible system that allows for process and flow changes/expansions in the factory.
In what ways is the procesflow optimized?
- Process flows can be optimized without regard to truck zones and truck aisles within the factory.
- Possibility of quick changes in production in case of product changes.
- Management of materials in and out of automation cells ensures continuous production without interruptions due to material supply.
- Enables space-saving automation cells due to reduced need for material buffers.
How does the implementation of a self-driving truck work?
Implementation takes place in five steps from layout on the surface where the truck will be implemented to the start of production.
- Customer provides us with their factory layout
- Simulations are performed to ensure the process, i.e. verification of sequence times and space for navigation
- Offline plotting of driving routes and missions
- Installation of KMP at customer site and loading of navigation map
- Start of production